Friday, July 11, 2008

Melissa chased, caught, killed, plucked and cooked a chicken!

Here is the most recent email from Melissa. It sounds like she is have a full experience! She did not take this picture but this is where she will be headed tomorrow.

Hi!!!!

Wow, so i have a lot to tell you about life out here, but I only have 25 minutes left on the timer, so I will send this to a couple of you and if you could send it out to anyone who you think would be interested that would be awesome! First, though, Eric!! Thank you so much for all of your detailed emails. I love it here, and you helped to spark so much of that before I even got here!!! Second, Moqqi...I'm going to try to answer all the questions from your email, but if i don't I will soon :)

Okay, here are some bullet points in case you don't want to read a lot of detail:

*Moqqi...my flight was only 3 1/2 hours late, so i didn't have to sleep in Dar. I got to Kigoma around 4 in the afternoon and then went with Coni and Dr. Len (another missionary out here) to pick up a nurse and her client and baby from the bus stop. The coolest part was when we took them home, I was able to see a real African welcome. All the sisters were screaming and dancing and singing. It was incredible! AFter, i went and met the other 7 interns at the beach where we ate hotdogs and pringles. It was great! (my action packer got here today, so I have my shoes again!)

*Yesterday morning we went on "An Amazing Race" in groups of two to get to know the city. My team basically tied for last place, but that was okay. It was still fun and everyone was "winners" so we all get the prize of eating dinner with Harold and Coni out!

*I chased, caught, killed, and cooked a chicken for dinner last night...and got pictures :) I'm sure everyone would have been proud. (more details below)

*Today we basically spent learning a drama to perform in the villages...we go out tomorrow!!! Please pray for us!

___________________

Okay, so here the more detailed part. I went into a lot of detail above for the first bullet point, so the only thing that I will mention now is that there were monkeys all around us!!! Probably ten feet away at the closest. They wanted our food, but we kept it sealed and guarded. (I got pics) We watched one of the most beautiful sunsets I think I've ever seen.

For the "Amazing Race," we had about 15 destinations around the town to find. My partner, Josh, and i only found about 8, and then one of them was wrong anyway. The bummer for us was that we took a cab for 14,000 shillings ($14), and we only had 15,000 to spend. We weren't able to buy the supplies we needed or take cabs or buses to the other places. Oh well...I think that we will hit them all up sometime on the trip :)

THE CHICKEN!!! After the race, we were told that we would spend the rest of the day as if we lived in Tanzania...women would cook, men would either work or sit around and pretty much not do anything. Well, all the guys chose to work, but they were watching and laughing at me and the other two girls for a long time as well. Basically, there are three girls and our job was to catch a chicken. Once all five were caught, we killed them (i'll spare details here..you can see pics if you choose when i'm at home). AFter killing them, we had to boil them in hot water so the feathers were easier to pluck. Well, they weren't boiled enough because the feathers didn't come out all that easy. After this, we put them on the griller, so they wouldn't go bad. We were supposed to cut and gut them, but we were taking too long and not doing it good enough, so thankfully the cook took over and did it for us :) I really didn't want to do this part. So, now I can say that I have prepared a chicken from scratch...literally.

The drama that we learned all day today is called "Redeemer" and its the one that the church did in Kauai...with a few changes. I think its going to be good, and prayerfully it will reach the people we show it to.

I think that is all for now. i only have a few minutes left. We go into a village tomorrow, i think it's Kaseki (Eric, you would know better than me) and don't get back until Saturday morning. I don't know when I can email next, but I'm sure I'll have a lot to say :)

Mel

No comments: